The term “medical cannabis” is used to describe products derived from the cannabis plant or its extracts. The major active cannabinoid compounds are tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) and cannabidiol (CBD). Sativa and indica are the two most common cannabis species.
HOW DO I OBTAIN MEDICAL CANNABIS?
1. Book a Cannabis Consultation with our pharmacist to see if medical cannabis is right for you, and complete appropriate forms.
2. During the consult, the pharmacist will review risks and benefits along with a treatment plan to send to your healthcare provider for review.
3.Your healthcare provider send in the required medical documents to a licensed producer.
4. Products can be ordered through a licensed producer and will be delivered directly to your home.
5. Follow-up and Dose/Strain/Formulation Adjustments can be made with your pharmacist to review your progress.
1. Is medical cannabis covered by my drug plan?
Some insurance plans may cover medical cannabis. Check with your provider.
2. What are the potential uses for medical cannabis?
There are limited, but developing, clinical studies surrounding the safety and efficacy of medical cannabis, and it is not currently an approved medical treatment by Health Canada. It may be helpful for a variety of symptoms such as: pain, sleep, muscle spasms/MS, arthritis, anxiety and more.
3. What are the potential side effects of medical cannabis?
Although information is still limited, some known side effects of cannabis use include: dizziness, drowsiness, fatigue, impaired memory and attention, nervousness, paranoia, hallucinations, dry mouth, increased heartbeat, nausea, vomiting.
WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN MEDICAL CANNABIS AND RECREATIONAL MARIJUANA?
Only Licensed Producers are authorized and regulated under federal and provincial laws to produce medical cannabis. They must adhere to rigorous production, safety, quality, security, testing and monitoring standards. There are some key differences between how medical cannabis and recreational marijuana are used and prescribed:
-Relieves symptoms while minimizing side effects
- Authorized by prescriber for medical use
- Healthcare practitioner-led education, dosing and monitoring
- May be used for euphoric effects
- No prescriber involvement
- No pharmacist education or management